Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
unable to activate email hosting
10/7/2013 05:06
I have set up my email (hotmail) to exactly what it needs to be (POP server and SMTP servers) but hotmail keeps telling me that it is unable to connect to the smtp server. How do i fix this and recieve and send emails? I am under a basic hosting plan and i have a domain registered with you as well (autopsyjude.com)  is there something I am missing ??
Reply Quote
10/7/2013 17:45
Yes, you were using DNS, but did not add in the MX record needed for email.  I've added it in for you.  Once the change propagates, email should begin working for you.

How can I use your Email plan using DNS?

To connect your domain name to your Dynadot email hosting plan using DNS, you can create the MX and TXT records using the steps below:

1. Sign in to your Dynadot account.
  2. Select "My Domains" from the left-side menu bar and "Manage Domains" in the drop-down.
  3. Check the box next to the domain name associated with your Email plan and click on the "Action" button.
  4. Choose "DNS Settings" from the "Action" list.
  5. On the DNS Settings page, select "Dynadot DNS" from the top drop-down menu.
  6. Under the "Domain Record" section, select "MX" from the "Record Type" drop-down.
  7. Enter "webhost.dynadot.com" in the "Mail Host" section.
  8. Set the "Priority" to "0", the highest priority.
  9. Under the "Domain Record" section, select "TXT" from the "Record Type" drop-down.
  10. Enter " v=spf1 mx include:webhost-mail-out.dynadot.com include:spf.webhost.dynadot.com ~all" in the "IP Address or Target Host" section.
  11. Next, go to the "Subdomain Records" section.
  12. Enter "default._domainkey" in the "Subdomain" field, select "CNAME" as the "Record Type", and enter "clients._domainkey.webhost.dynadot.com" in the "IP Address or Target Host" area.
  13. Add another subdomain record and enter "_dmarc" in the "Subdomain" field, select "TXT" as the "Record Type", and enter "v=DMARC1; p=none; rua=mailto:[email protected]" in the "IP Address or Target Host" area.
  14. Press the "Save DNS" button to save your changes.

NOTE: The SPF record will help prevent spoofing and let email servers know your message is not spam.

Your settings should look similar to what is shown below: (click to enlarge)

NOTE: Click here if you want to Upgrade your email hosting to Pro Version.
and here for more info on our email hosting plans.

From Help Section: Email Plan > Email > How can I use your Email plan using DNS?
Reply Quote
10/8/2013 05:28
hmm it is still not working! has it not propogated yet? I used pop.webhost.dynadot.com port 110 and smtp.webhost.dynadot.com port 25 as the servers.... and it still says that it was unable to sign into the smtp server;
Reply Quote
10/8/2013 16:40
The MX record is working.  I was able to both send and receive directly through your Dynadot account.  If you are not able to use a mail client, it may be that your ISP has blocked port 25.  A lot of them are lately.  Try using the alternative ports, 1110 for POP and 1025 for SMTP.
Reply Quote
Posted By b_s_au
11/20/2014 21:02
How you specify alternative ports?
Reply Quote