Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
hosting companies
Posted By jst601
2/2/2007 07:19
Greetings all. I'm new to Dynadot, having just transferred two domain names here. Thank God: I was able to escape GoBatty. ;-) As I'm looking for a new host, I'm amazed at the "hosting review" sites I find over the last 6-8 months. And I'm amazed at what I find the more I read for myself.
I've had one host for 5 years for a particular site, & never ever had trouble with them. However, since it's a one man operation, he can't compete with the features offered by bigger companies. His support, though, is the best I've experienced & I've hosted w/IX, Addr, Webnet77, Hostway, & a few others over the years.
Does anyone have any suggestions on big name hosting companies that are legit & really do follow through w/service? I'm looking hard at: Hostmonster (lots of experience here from what I read), Hostgator, IX (again), Powweb, Globat, Site5, & Siteground. I'm also becoming more concerned about the location of the company's datacenter & whether or not they actually own it. I see 1&1 has a new (huge) Kansas data center, so that makes them look good. Jeepers! Option anxiety abounds.

[This post has been edited by j_s_t_richland_us on Feb 2, 2007 7:20am.]

[This post has been edited by jst601 on Feb 2, 2007 7:46am.]

[This post has been edited by jst601 on Feb 2, 2007 7:46am.]
Reply Quote
Posted By hekler
2/3/2007 06:29
3 things

1. We host a lot of our own sites in house plus have about 15 in the outside world (Mainly Linux based as we can do all the Win stuff in house). Over the last few years it has become apparent to us that 2 standout. PowWeb (outstanding quality and value but sometimes feel frustrated over the interface in a few areas) and AceHost ( who's biggest problem is their 200 emails per hour limit but they do use cPanel)

2. For anyone to give good advice we need to know two things - What do you plan to do with the site? and where would you prefer to host it - country wise?

3. Once you decide who you want only sign up short term to start with (Take the pain initially) and if they prove reliable then go for a longer term
Reply Quote
2/3/2007 12:13
I agree with the previous. Hosting is dependent on your needs. There are many that give good service, but you may not believe they do if they do not meet the demands of your sites needs. It is best to determine your needs and post them first then give a list of who you are considering and get some suggestions that way.
Reply Quote
Posted By jst601
2/8/2007 11:05
I went with Hostmonster. I really like the idea of the new 1&1 datacenter in the U.S. (where I am) but based on what I'm learning from various sites about 1&1's practices, I went elsewhere. I'll be doing some audio streaming & perhaps a forum/blog, but if one gets too intensive I'll move that somewhere else.
Reply Quote
3/5/2007 14:04
I'm happy with netfirms.com. I have been hosting with them for about 3 years now.
Reply Quote