Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Custom DNS entries for a basic hosting package
10/22/2013 09:54
When you attach a basic hosting package to a domain is it no longer possible to create custom DNS entries for said domain?  I had custom MX, CNAME, and TXT records created for my domain to manage my mail elsewhere and it appears that that the basic hosting is now overriding all my entries (qscompute.com is the domain).  

If this is an issue, then can i simply move the DNS elsewhere and CNAME back to Dynadot for the web hosting?
Reply Quote
10/22/2013 17:42
Yes, you can do that.  There are two methods you can use:

Can I connect to my Email account using a CNAME?

Yes, you can connect to your Email account using a CNAME. To do this, please use the CNAME webhost.dynadot.com

For your email to work, please include the MX record webhost.dynadot.com

To prevent spoofing, you may also include a TXT record "v=spf1 mx include:webhost-mail-out.dynadot.com include:spf.webhost.dynadot.com ~all"

Please be aware it may take anywhere from 20 minutes to 24 hours for your DNS changes to propagate.

The benefit to using a CNAME vs. an A Record is that if the Email IP address is ever changed, you won't need to adjust your settings. You can also choose to simply use the "Dynadot Email Hosting" settings.

From Help Section: Email Plan > Can I connect to my Email account usi...

Can I connect to my Email plan with an IP address via an A record?

Yes, you can connect to your Email plan via an A Record for its website service (we no longer provide website service for new email plans); however this is not recommended as we cannot guarantee that the IP address will always remain the same. If you use the "Dynadot Email Hosting" setting, our system automatically updates any IP changes, but we are unable to do this for those with a custom DNS configuration, so the update would need to be done manually from within your account following these same instructions below.

The current IP address used by our Email plan is 13.52.28.221, 13.57.119.71 and 54.153.83.56.
Please be sure to enter the same records in the subdomain section.

For your email to work, please include the MX record webhost.dynadot.com

To prevent spoofing you may also include a TXT record "v=spf1 mx include:webhost-mail-out.dynadot.com include:spf.webhost.dynadot.com ~all"

Please be aware it may take anywhere from 20 minutes to 24 hours for your DNS changes to propagate.

From Help Section: Email Plan > Can I connect to my Email plan with a...
Reply Quote