Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
changing 'A' record while waiting for domain transfer
3/28/2007 13:25
Hi --

I'm waiting to transfer a friend's domain from the original developer's ISP to dynadot.  In the meantime, I would like the original developer to change the DNS record that he has access to to point to the dynadot-hosted site -- is this possible?  Can web hosting at dynadot work without the domain name registered through dynadot too, and if so, where do I find the IP for my site -- or do I just ask to have the A record changed to dynadot's name servers?

Any help would be appreciated -- I'm a designer and not very knowledgeable about hosting and DNS records.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
3/28/2007 14:18
Our web hosting does work for domains not registered through us. You would just need to set the domain's name servers to ns1.dynadot.com and ns2.dynadot.com.

An A record for a domain would be stored on the name servers it is set to use. Our name servers already have the A record entered for your domain, so all that needs to be done is to set your domain to use our name servers.

Also, please note that name server changes can not be made during a transfer if the transfer has already been initiated with the central registry. You would have received a "Transfer Initiated" email from us if the transfer was initiated.
Reply Quote
3/28/2007 14:41
thanks for the help!
Reply Quote