Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Email forwarding not working
1/3/2010 00:03
I'm trying to get all of my domain's email sent to [email protected] redirected to my main email account (a Yahoo! POP3 account).

In my settings, I set email forwarding to the second option ("Specify email aliases and forward them..."), and entered * as the username and my standard email address as the recipient. However, it doesn't seem to be working, and sending email to [email protected], but I'm not receiving them in my email.

The email is a POP3 account hosted by Yahoo! if that matters. When I send an email to [email protected], I get an automated email back from Yahoo! stating that the email could not be delivered, with the error "Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)"

Oh, and I'm hosting my own site, only using Dynadot for DNS.

[This post has been edited by a_m_brant_us on Jan 5, 2010 10:26pm.]
Reply Quote
1/5/2010 22:25
Well, I figured out that email forwarding only works if you're using an A record. However, I have to use a CNAME record. My IP changes occasionally (probably 2-4 weeks) and using an A record means I'd have to login to Dynadot and update it every time it changes. So I use Dyndns, which auto-updates to my IP address, and I have my domain set to a CNAME record pointing to mysite.gotdns.org. This works nicely, except for the fact that now email forwarding doesn't work.

Is there any way to get email forwarding to work with CNAME records, or can you use MX records to deliver email to, say, a Yahoo! POP3 account?
Reply Quote
1/6/2010 17:05
You are correct.  The reason why your email forwarding isn't working is because you are currently using an CNAME.  Using an MX record won't work either.  

We are working on a work around for customers who need to use a CNAME, however, that probably won't be finished for some time.  

Does your DNS provider provide a way for you to forward email through their servers?  I know that some DNS providers do offer this service, so you might want to check with your current one to see if they offer it.
Reply Quote
1/7/2010 00:08
Looks like they do:

MailHop® Forward allows you to accept and forward mail without needing to run your own mail server. You can create forwarding rules (local user parts the joe in [email protected] for your domain example.com) and dispatch them off to your current e-mail address or a small list of recipients.

However, it's $40/year for the basic stuff so I'll just wait til Dynadot supports it. Thanks for the clarification.

[This post has been edited by a_m_brant_us on Jan 7, 2010 2:22am.]
Reply Quote